Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Holla back, stereotypes

Just like when a sports team makes the leap of faith into the world of young people using technology that is changing faster than Tara Reid's stomach, it is equally unwise for a political party to similarly make an attempt. Obama lucked out with Facebook and hasn't looked too awful, but RNC Chairman Michael Steele has gone too far. Not only has he started a blog (it will probably get updated less than this one), but he has gone and named it What Up?

Really, Mike? What up? White kids in the suburbs don't even use that word anymore, and your votes are safe with them anyways. Unfortunately for you, The only thing that is going to make the GOP appealing to young urban people is if, you know, you drop that whole GOP thing.

I really dig the first post, though. It starts out with a vague tribute to the internet and social networking tools:

The Internet has been around a while, now. But, I still find it an amazing platform for innovation, not just in technology, but in life. Beyond admiring the way it powers so many inventions and businesses, it has become a personal thing for me. I love the fact that, wherever I might be, I can use technology to see my family and chat with them, and Social Media to tap into what my friends are doing.

Today, I want to begin to better connect with Republicans everywhere.

Internet! Connect! Republicans! Okay, you've got my attention, Mike. Go on:

My first blog entry, therefore, is really a couple of questions for you; use the comment button to send me replies. We will run as many questions as we can, which I will answer.

Why are you are Republican? Think about that for a minute.

No, I don't want to think about that for a minute. Gross! Also, I'm sure there are some serious questions and lucrative answers after the "Read More" tab, but the What Up? staff must have been too busy catching up on Glenn Beck YouTube videos to realize that the link was broken. So that's all the fun we can have right now.

But seriously: What Up? That is unreal. And, sadly, this is just one of the many, many, many racial tightropes that Steele has walked as of late. What a strange guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment