Friday, August 28, 2009

Say goodbye to the next 30-or-so minutes of your life

If you're like me, at some point you took a language course and figured that you would just breeze through it with the help of Babelfish (aptly named after Monsieur Adams' brilliance) or Google Translate - and without actual effort, the purchase of a textbook or any man-hours spent studying or making index cards. And you, like me, probably failed epically. Why? Because we placed our faith in a pretty crappy online translator. But hark! Some good may come out of our failure:

Enter Translation Party, a widget that uses Google Translate to take an English sentence or phrase, translate it to Japanese, then translate back to English, then back to Japanese and so on until two English translations come back the same; they call it the equilibrium.
My original sentence: I certainly am afraid of all sorts of God-awful shenanigans, including but not limited to tea bagging.
My equilibrium:I am afraid of a certain type of God. However, fraud, poor people are not limited to the package of tea.
You must play around with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment